The real estate market is in the midst of a major comeback. Sales are greater than any time since 2007. Consumer confidence is increasing. Economists are now saying housing is the major tailwind to our nation’s overall economic recovery.
However, there is one major challenge that could stall the housing market: a lack of inventory.
According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR) latest Existing Home Sales Report:
“Total housing inventory at the end of December fell 8.5 percent to 1.82 million existing homes available for sale, which represents a 4.4-month supply at the current sales pace, down from 4.8 months in November, and is the lowest housing supply since May of 2005 when it was 4.3 months, which was near the peak of the housing boom.
Listed inventory is 21.6 percent below a year ago when there was a 6.4-month supply. Raw unsold inventory is at the lowest level since January 2001 when there were 1.78 million homes on the market.”
A recent survey by Redfin reveals that the challenge seems to be continuing into 2013. New listings taken in the first 14 days of the year decreased by 30% as compared to the first two weeks of 2012.
A lack of supply will be good news for prices in the short term. However, for a long term recovery in housing, an increase in current inventory is crucial.
Manchester MA ListingsManchester, MA - $875,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1Manchester, MA - $635,000 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1Manchester, MA - $1,260,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1Manchester, MA - $5,995,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:14 - Beds:10 - Baths:6/1
Gloucester MA ListingsGloucester, MA - $625,000 - Single-Family - Ranch, Cottage - Rooms:2 - Beds:1 - Baths:12 hours agoGloucester, MA - $945,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Antique, Cottage - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:13 hours agoGloucester, MA - $179,900 - Condo - Garden, Low-Rise - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:112 hours agoGloucester, MA - $85,000 - Land - Acres:5.38
Ipswich MA ListingsIpswich, MA - $659,000 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:9 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/216 hours agoIpswich, MA - $519,900 - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1Ipswich, MA - $674,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:2 - Baths:2Ipswich, MA - $149,900 - Condo - Garden - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:1
- NH Old House, Barn Expo this weekend March 15, 2014Haunted houses in New England is one of the topics at this weekend's New Hampshire Old House & Barn Expo.
- Leominster Art Association to meet Tuesday March 13, 2014The Leominster Art Association will hold its monthly meeting at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the Congregational Church of Christ, 583 Main St. The guest demonstrator will be Caleb Stone.
- New Construction at North Parish of North Andover Will Bring All Church Activities Under One Roof March 11, 2014Blessing of new construction to take place on March 16 A part of the physical, spiritual and charitable landscape in the Merrimack Valley for literally hundreds of years, the North Parish of North Andover meetinghouse is about to undergo a major physical makeover.
- Lowell man held in fatal home invasion March 4, 2014A Lowell man wanted in connection with a December home invasion that left one man dead was ordered held on $250,000 cash bail on Monday after he was arrested in New York last month.
- NH Old House, Barn Expo this weekend March 15, 2014
- Panel calls for sweeping changes at child agency March 14, 2014Giving smartphones to social workers and taking photos of all children who enter state care are among the recommendations of an independent group examining Massachusetts' child-welfare system.
- Senate Republican Caucus Seeks to Address Major Loophole within State Employee Travel Expense Regs March 14, 2014Today I distributed the following press release regarding a bill that the Senate Republican Caucus is filing to close a loophole within the state employee travel expense regulations: Senate Republican Caucus Seeks to Address Major Loophole within State Employee Travel Expense Regs Every Government Entity Should be Held to the Same, High Standards ... (more)
- Maine man pleads guilty in Mass. molestation case March 12, 2014A Maine resident has been sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting a Massachusetts girl over several years starting when she was 8 years old.
- Police Log: Danvers Police Make Six Arrests March 9, 2014Tuesday, March 4 At 10:05 p.m., police arrested Devin Eriesian, 27, 165 Old Burley St., Danvers, and charged him with domestic assault and battery.
- Panel calls for sweeping changes at child agency March 14, 2014
- UltrOZ Announces First Essay Contest Winner March 15, 2014AP is a gorgeous 5 yr old TB gelding, 16.1 hh. This guy is absolutely adorable! He is such an agreeable & friendly horse, always looking to please.
- LGBT group request to march in St. Patrick's Day parade denied March 4, 2014Organizers of the South Boston St. Patrick's Day parade have denied an application by a gay veterans group to march.
- More March 4, 2014A new law is being discussed in the town of Ipswich that has dog owners more aware of where their pets take care of business.
- Downtown Great Barrington given $80,000 grant to establish Business Improvement District February 28, 2014Great Barrington is one of eight towns awarded a grant totalling $80,000 from the state Department of Housing and Community Development to form such a district.
- UltrOZ Announces First Essay Contest Winner March 15, 2014