The real estate market is in the midst of a major comeback. Sales are greater than any time since 2007. Consumer confidence is increasing. Economists are now saying housing is the major tailwind to our nation’s overall economic recovery.
However, there is one major challenge that could stall the housing market: a lack of inventory.
According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR) latest Existing Home Sales Report:
“Total housing inventory at the end of December fell 8.5 percent to 1.82 million existing homes available for sale, which represents a 4.4-month supply at the current sales pace, down from 4.8 months in November, and is the lowest housing supply since May of 2005 when it was 4.3 months, which was near the peak of the housing boom.
Listed inventory is 21.6 percent below a year ago when there was a 6.4-month supply. Raw unsold inventory is at the lowest level since January 2001 when there were 1.78 million homes on the market.”
A recent survey by Redfin reveals that the challenge seems to be continuing into 2013. New listings taken in the first 14 days of the year decreased by 30% as compared to the first two weeks of 2012.
A lack of supply will be good news for prices in the short term. However, for a long term recovery in housing, an increase in current inventory is crucial.
Manchester MA ListingsManchester, MA - $4,000
20 Proctor St - Rentals - - Rooms:13 - Beds:9 - Baths:517 hours agoManchester, MA - $1,695,000
38 Sea Street - Single-Family - - Rooms:12 - Beds:6 - Baths:3/1Manchester, MA - $850,000
35 Forster Rd - Single-Family - Contemporary, Multi-Level - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:3Manchester, MA - $664,900
128 Old Essex Road - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/1Manchester, MA - $558,500
121 Pine St - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/1
Gloucester MA ListingsGloucester, MA - $850,000
53-55 Western Avenue - Multi-Family - Units:4 - Levels:2 - Parking Spaces:611 hours agoGloucester, MA - $745,000
9 Starknaught Heights - Single-Family - Contemporary - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/112 hours agoGloucester, MA - $389,000
40 New Way Ln - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:213 hours agoGloucester, MA - $419,000
9 Blossom Ln - Single-Family - Raised Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:213 hours agoGloucester, MA - $679,900
36 Nashua Ave - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/116 hours ago
Ipswich MA ListingsIpswich, MA - $739,000
3 High Street - Single-Family - Colonial, Antique - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:37 hours agoIpswich, MA - $624,900
400 Linebrook Road - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:5 - Baths:212 hours agoIpswich, MA - $639,000
15 Spillers Lane - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/114 hours agoIpswich, MA - $369,000
17 Birch Lane - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1/115 hours agoIpswich, MA - $309,000
139 Topsfield Road - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1
- Worcester's Pay-As-You-Throw Trash Removal Saves City $10-20M April 15, 2014Worcester's Pay-As-You-Throw trash removal system has saved the city an estimated $10 to $20 million dollars in the past 20 years, according to a recent case study published by WasteZero, the company that has produced and distributed the yellow bags for trash collection since January 2006.
- Alleged bank robber crashes car in Methuen April 12, 2014The search for a New Hampshire bank robber came to a crashing end along riverside drive in Methuen.
- Windover Construction Breaks Ground at St. John's Prep April 11, 2014Windover Construction is pleased to announce construction has officially begun at St. John's Prep in Danvers on a 74,000 square-foot, five-story academic building to house the school's Computer Science, Mathematics, Science, and World Languages departments.
- Lenox Sets 2014 Town Meeting Warrant April 10, 2014The Board of Selectmen have set the warrant for the annual town meeting on May 1. The warrant would set budgets of $6.1 million for town expenses and $11.4 million for school.
- Worcester's Pay-As-You-Throw Trash Removal Saves City $10-20M April 15, 2014
- Institution For Savings To Merge With Rockport National April 16, 2014The Institution for Savings in Newburyport will acquire Rockport National Bancorp in an all-cash deal slated to close in the fourth quarter of this year.
- Unemployment insurance cost freeze near April 15, 2014Gov. Deval Patrick has vowed to sign a bill sent to his desk yesterday that freezes the unemployment insurance rate that businesses pay, but a top Republican told the Herald that real reform is still a long way off.
- NMFS proposed rules to implement spiny dogfish management plan April 12, 2014New rules have been proposed to manage the spiny dogfish fishery. The National Marine Fisheries Service of the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration announced in the Federal Register of Thursday, April 10 that it is proposing changes known as Amendment 3 for the Spiny Dogfish Fishery Management Plan.
- 'RoboClam' hits new depths as robotic digger April 9, 2014A digging robot inspired by the unique mechanisms employed by the Atlantic razor clam has been created by a group of researchers in the US.
- Institution For Savings To Merge With Rockport National April 16, 2014
- Prolific, promiscuous, predictable ... April 18, 2014"His schedule remained essentially the same for the next fifty years" is a sentence to make the heart sink, coming as it does fairly early on in Updike , a hefty new biography of the great American writer.
- EBSCO Information Services Creates Open Policy for Data Sharing April 18, 2014EBSCO Information Services has released its new policy on metadata sharing and technology collaboration.
- Teen Stress Reduction Program April 17, 2014Teen stress is resulting in an increase in anxiety, depression and drug addiction.
- New agreement between EBSCO and NewsBank adds Readex content to EBSCO Discovery Service April 17, 2014American historical collections from NewsBank's Readex Division will be searchable via EBSCO Discovery Service.
- Prolific, promiscuous, predictable ... April 18, 2014